This is not a new term in the marketing industry; however, this term just became very popular in the resent years. VSL is the short form of Video Sales Letter. So, in today’s post; I will be talking about the meaning of VSL, and how it can benefit your business.
If you’re trying to explain a process or product to a potential client, one of the surest ways to close the deal is through a sales conversation. Unlike an explainer video that outlines something your business does or a promotional video that tries to build up your brand, a video sales letters’ primary goal is to sell.
So, What is a VSL? What is a Video Sales Letter?
A VSL is simply a straight forward video that is meant to end with a sale. It’s usually made up of a pitch in the following format:
Stages in VSL (Video Sales Letter)
There are basically three stages in any Video Sales Letter…
- Explain the client’s problem: This is where you explain the problem being faced by your client or customer. It has to be as direct as possible; no story!
- Explain your product’s or service’s solution: This is where you explain the solution brought by your product or services.
- Buying options for the product: The third and last stage is to give your clients different option to purchase your product or service.
However, if you’ve ever seen a sales email, it’s essentially that in video format. Instead of paragraphs of information, the same copy is presented on screen as text with a voice over. On the other hand, they can also be a simple video of a single person on screen selling the product.
Benefits of a Video Sales Letter (SVL)
One major reason that VSL (video sales letters) work is because they aren’t disguised as marketing. They are a hard sale. They are truly what they intend to be. No gimmicks. No fluff. Customers know exactly what they are getting.
Typically, a video sales letter will be 3-5 minutes long and on a landing page that eventually ends with a call to action. Although, there are people who argue that VSL should be around 15 – 30 minutes, but to be honest, the length of the video depends on your niche, your market and if you can fill that much time with value. Remember, NO GIMMICKS!
Things Needed For VSL (Video Sales Letter)
- Voice over or on-screen presenter
- Product to sell
- Software that can create animated text and/or a video camera
- Professional video editor to compile everything