If you’re feeling a little apprehensive about making your first homemade shampoo, fear not! There’s one unbelievably simple but super-effective shampoo recipe. It may not contain the nourishing and fragrant ingredients of some of the other shampoos I will be sharing with you later on this blog, but it is a great place to get started.
So, what is this shampoo?
Well, the most basic homemade shampoo is made by simply mixing together baking soda and water. This shampoo is great as it clarifies the hair without stripping too much of the natural oil. Other benefits of using this shampoo include:
- Your hair will look more lively and vibrant. Dry, limp hair is not only difficult to style, it can leave us feeling less than happy with the way we look. Using this simple baking soda and water recipe as an alternative to regular shampoo will help remedy this situation.
- It cleans without leaving a residue. One problem with a lot of store-bought shampoos is that they often leave behind a residue in the hair after washing. Due to the harsh nature of many of the ingredients used in these shampoos, this residue can cause the scalp to feel itchy and sensitive.
- It helps stop scalp irritation. Baking soda will help defend your scalp from irritants and allergens. This can help prevent redness and flakiness — especially useful for those who’s scalp is already sensitive.
- You probably already have the ingredients at home! Not only will this simple shampoo alternative be better for your hair, baking soda is inexpensive, and easy to get hold of.
Now that you’ve been introduced to some of the benefits of this super-simple shampoo alternative, let’s get to the recipe!
Easy Homemade Shampoo
Ingredients Needed To Make Natural Home Made Shampoo
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of baking soda
Step by Step Guide On How To Make Natural Home Made Shampoo
Step 1: Mix the 3 cups of water with the 1 cup of baking soda in a large bowl. Be sure to wash this bowl well after use as you don’t want to ingest any residue the baking soda may leave behind.
Step 2: Make sure the mixture isn’t clumpy and that the water and baking soda are mixed together thoroughly.
Step 3: To apply, and put a generous amount on your palms and massage it into your hair. An alternative method of application is to pour the mixture into a spray bottle and apply by spraying onto your hair.
Congratulations! You’ve made your first natural Shampoo! See? That wasn ’t so hard, was it? OK, so we didn’t include any fragrant, nourishing ingredients in this recipe, but we did make a simple alternative to store-bought shampoo.