You won’t argue with me if you personally like eating Plantain Chips like myself. Plantain chips are crunchy Nigerian snacks made with either ripe or unripe plantains. However, it is advisable to make your plantain chips with unripe plantain in other to get a bright yellow that beats the market to your favor.
There are so many reasons why you should be thinking of doing this business at this time; most especially if you are a woman who likes to work from home. However, it is important to know that you don’t have to be doing the selling of the plantain chips neither do you have to be doing the frying yourself as all these can be out source.
5 Reasons For Doing Plantain Chips Business
- It is requires little of no capital
- No special equipment are required
- You can always start in your kitchen
- It has long chef life
- It has large market. I have not seen someone who hates eating plantain chips; have you?
In this post today; we shall be discussing all you need to know about plantain chips production and marketing. As a matter of fact, I have a woman who has a van for selling plantain chips. If you are not too busy; can you spare me few minutes and read through this post in just 10 minutes or less.
With this business; you hardly run at lost else … I hope you know what I mean. That is why starting a plantain chips business will not be a bad ideal for making a decent stable income. You can hardly lose money if you invest in plantain chips business
Common Ingredients In Plantain Chips Production Business
There are so many ingredients that you can use in making plantain chips and most of them depends largely on you anyway. However, I do like to advise you here that it is important to note that it is better to do what people like and want to buy against what you like. This is because, they are the one buying and not you.
Here is what am saying; some people will refuse to add pepper to their plantain chips because they hate pepper but honestly; a little of it won’t hurt.
The Common Ingredients Are:
- The Plantain itself (ripe or unripe)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt for taste
- Grounded Pepper (optional)
- Grounded Ginger (optional)
- Grounded Garlic (optional)
Step By Step Plantain Production Processes
- Slice the Plantain into a bowl of water: It is advisable to use a vegetable slicer so that the plantain slices will be equal in size but it is not a most. However, it is important you sliced the plantain into a bowl of water because the water will prevent the sliced plantain from changing color.
- Add Salt to taste and Stir: The next thing to do is to transfer the sliced plantain to a sieve to drain the water. After which you add some other ingredients or spices like grounded pepper, grounded ginger and grounded garlic if necessary.
- Start Frying: After you have added all other ingredients or spices. The next thing is to start frying; put on your stove or cooking gas. You put vegetable oil into a frying pan and allow it to hot before frying. Make sure you don’t make the plantain too brown in color before taken them out of the frying pan. This is important because the lighter the plantain chips the more beautiful it becomes.
Simple Marketing Strategy That Works
If you want to make cool money with this business you must add some other ingredients to your plantain chips apart form the normal chips seen on the streets; remember you are not the only one doing the business; a little ginger, garlic and pepper can make a lot of different.
Just as I have told you earlier; you don’t have to start carrying your products about telling people that you are making plantain chips. If it’s a new business to you that people are yet to know you with; here are my suggested tips:
- Give FREE Samples: The best way to WIN a customer is usually by sample. It is the sample that will convince them and prove to them that you are indeed good at what you do.
- Cut Different Shape: Plantain chips are usually in circle. Why can’t it be in square, rectangle or even rectangles? If you must succeed in any business make sure you are different from the rest. it is call your UPS (Unique Selling Point)
- Do Smaller Sizes: Remember children loves to eat plantain chips. I know it’s not so easy but it will greatly increase your sales if you have smaller sizes like N20 for school children. Remember, we still have biscuit of N10; this is because those children are always loyal.
- Be Friendly: Did I just say that again? the fact that your product is good is not just enough reasons for people to buy from you; people buy from business owners who have a relationship with them and not just interested in their money alone. It is call customer service!
Best Places To Sell Your Products
There are some places you should supply your plantain chips:
- Abi kiosk
- Petty Traders
- Supper Markets
Oh, I forget to tell you that you need to brand your plantain chips. Do a small design carrying your business name and contacts; to show people that they can always trace you. It gives then the assurance that you are proud of what you are selling to them and make you accessible.