This is Nigeria; and the way we do things here are quite different from the way it is done abroad. I have written about making bar soap with the professional equipment like scales, thermometers and the likes. So, what happens if you don’t have a scale or a thermometer; does that mean you cannot make a bar soap? No! Today, I shall be talking about how you can make bar soap without all those so call professional equipment. I will be teaching you a method where you can make a bar soap with equipment available in your kitchen.
However, even if we can find our way round the professional equipment by improvising; am sorry we can’t find our way round the safety caution. We must make sure we keep all the safety rules!!! Disobedient to any of the rules can be very deadly; don’t say I did not warn you.
Just as I have promised; this method is very simple as we shall be using available kitchen equipment like your stove, bowls and the likes.
Here are the safety materials In Making Bar Soap:
- Long sleeve T-shirt/Laboratory coat
- Hand gloves
- Nose guards
Here are the materials needed for making bar soap:
- Palm kernel oil. P.K.O. – 3 liters (you can use any type of oil like: Olive Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil e.t.c)
- lye/Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic soda) – 1.5 liters
- Soda ash – 1 liters
- Sodium sulphate – 1/6
- Colour – as desired
- Fragrance – as desired
I Think You NEED To Know These
- Do not touch the soap with bare hands. (You can get burnt by the fresh soap as it is quite alkaline till set)
- Do your soap where there is ventilation
- You can use almost any type of fat in your homemade bar soap. Palm oil, Shea butter or cocoa butter are popular choices. Lard or shortening can be melted for use also.
- Keep Children and Pets away
- Try adding herbs to your soap for different fragrances and textures. These can be added just after the mixture has thickened.
- Do not use iron spoon or plate, because caustic soda is corrosive; use a stainless instead!
- Always Keep vinegar or lemon juice handy in case you burn yourself with the fresh soap or lye.
- Get three separate bowls each containing 2 – 3 liters of water
- Pour the Caustic soda in bowl 1
- Pour the Soda ash in bowl 2
- Pour the Sodium sulphate in bowl 3 then leave the three (3) bolws for at least 72 hours or 3 days.
- After 73hours or 3 days
- Heat the P.K.O. to make it warm and pour it into a very large container for mixing
- Mix the Caustic soda water, Soda ash water and Sodium sulphate water together in the big bowl containing the P.K.O then stir very well. Be careful when you stir to make sure you don’t pass the light trace. This is important else your soap will be difficult to pour in the mold.
- Add your preferred colour then stir
- Add your preferred fragrance and stir together as well
- By now you should have a pap like solution called trace
- Pour the pap like solution (trace) into molds that have already been laid with nylon and allow it to dry until it becomes very strong
- Remove the nylon and cut the slab into various sizes or your preferred size and now the bar soap is ready for use and sale.
Note: you will have to leave this for at least 4 – 6 weeks for it to properly form (cure).
Please, leave your comments below as a question, encouragement or appreciation.