Becoming a writer and becoming a productive writer are two different things. The fact of the matter is that the only writers’ online that make any money are those that are both fast and good. You can be fast and create terrible copy that no one wants, and you can be slow and create a great copy, but you won’t make any money. The magic formula really is Write Fast + Write Well = Make Money!
What is your writing job today? A sales page? An article? Whatever you are writing today, you need to make sure that what you write supports the subject at hand. So how to begin?
The first thing you need to know is how many words the copy is going to be. 500 words are pretty average on the internet, but it can be shorter or longer.
The next thing you want to do is look at the subject at hand. If it’s a topic you are very familiar with, your job just got easier. Start typing – yes, that’s right – just start typing for a full five minutes. Don’t look at the screen, don’t worry about spelling, paragraphs, grammar, etc. Just type what comes out of your head. You will be surprised at just how much information is stored up there. This is especially true if you’ve been writing online for a long time.
Set a timer, and when it goes off – stop! Now, start to put your ideas into form. Organize them, create your paragraphs, and headings, bulleted lists, whatever you need to make your article work. You can add more content if necessary, or remove some if you have typed too much. You’ll be surprised at just how much information you can put together if you just let things flow. Great, but what happens if you are not familiar with the topic at hand? In those cases, you’re going to have to spend a little time researching. This is where having really good research skills can come in handy, because you want to minimize the amount of time you spend learning about the subject at hand. Do some skim reading, make a few notes, and then start writing.
It’s a good idea to always find out from the client what they will require you to write on before you accept the job, because the cost needs to reflect your research time and writing time, and if it’s a subject foreign to you, then you’ll have difficulty being productive.
You see, the more you write, the better you will become, so just keep writing! Of course, there are always things you can do to improve your writing. Let’s have a look at some ways to do that.
8 Tips and Tricks To Become A Better Writer
- Become a blogger – Blogging is an easy way to become better at what you do and gain more experience, while for the most part, working in a relatively relaxed writing environment. Besides, blogging is also a great way to make a living if you become good at it.
- Limit your words – Writers tend to ramble on. The best way to keep your writing clear and concise is to simply limit how many words your content will hold. By doing so, you force yourself to think about what you are writing.
- Outline – When you are writing an e-book, print book, report, or an academic paper, creating an outline is a good place to start. By creating an outline, you can create your structure for your writing.
- Live passionately – If you are passionate about living, you’ll also be passionate when you write. You live once – take it in, wrap yourself in life, and ‘live!’ As a writer, this attitude will come through.
- Write-Stop-Edit – You should do your writing, and then take a break before you start your edit, so that you are looking at it with fresh eyes. If you write and edit right away, your brain is smart, and will often see what’s not there, because it knows it should be there.
- Daily new word – Learn new word every day. Why? This is because it expands your vocabulary, and allows you to keep learning. Trust me – it will be reflected in your writing.
- Write & write some more – This is particularly helpful when you are writing longer content. Do your writing, stop, and come back to examine the content you’ve written, to ensure all necessary points are covered. A little break gives your brain a time-out, and when you return, you will have thought of additional content that should be added.
- Write with no distractions – Nothing will cause your writing to be poor than distractions. You need to have a quiet place where you can let your thoughts flow, and the results will be good quality writing that’s desirable.
I hope this helps someone today. If you have any question or opinion, please use the comment box below.